A cover letter is a text that supports your CV, and helps you stand out among other candidates by introducing you to the relevant persons. In your cover letter, briefly mention the knowledge, skills and experiences relevant to the position you are applying for. Also explain why you are interested in that specific institution and position and how you will be useful for the institution. In other words, a short cover letter like this explains why your qualities are vital for the employing institution. Below are some important points to consider in writing a cover a letter:
- Write your title, if any, first and last name, contact address and the date at the top of the page.
- Briefly introduce yourself and explain your career goals.
- Pay attention spelling and page layout. Do not forget that your cover letter is representing you.
- Use the same kind of paper as your CV.
- Attach it in front of your CV.
- One page is enough for a cover letter.
- Write a unique cover letter for when applying to an institution.
- At the end of the letter, mention that you are more than willing to be called for an interview.